Order Microgynon Online(21)
Microgynon is a combined oral contraceptive, which contains the hormones Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel. If you are too busy to see your GP, our fast and convenient service allows you to order a repeat supply of Microgynon online. Our online doctor will review your request and issue a prescription, provided the pill is suitable for you.
If you need emergency contraception, you can order the morning after pill here.
Free standard delivery FREE Estimated Delivery: 25-27th July We dispatch orders every day from Monday to Friday. If placed before 4pm, your order will be dispatched the same day. Orders placed after 4pm will be processed and sent out the next working day. Next Day Click & Collect FREE Collection: 24th July Collect your order from any Royal Mail post office. You will receive an email or SMS as soon as your order is ready for collection. Your order will be available to collect from the Post Office for up to 18 days. Proof of Identification will be required for collection. Next Day Express delivery £3.99 Estimated Delivery: 24th July by 1pm If placed before 4pm, your order will be delivered by 1pm on the next working day. Orders placed after 4pm are processed and sent out the next day and delivered the day after. You will choose your delivery option at the checkout. Delivery options may vary depending on the pack size and dosage chosen.
Every tablet contains 0.03mg ethinylestradiol (an estrogen) and 0.15mg levonorgestrel ( a type of progesterone). Microgynon tablets are small, round and can be of a white or yellow colour.
Microgynon side effects
The following side-effects frequently occur when taking Microgynon (which means that they affect more than 1 in 100 women who take this pill):
- abdominal pain
- depression, mood swings
- tender breasts
For further information on possible rare side-effects, please read the patient leaflet of your pill.
Microgynon is a contraceptive pill – like all other contraceptive pills, it is prescription-only medication. Containing both estrogen and progesterone, Microgynon is a highly effective contraceptive, which can be taken within a 12 hour window every day. Every tablet contains 0.03mg ethinylestradiol (an estrogen) and 0.15mg levonorgestrel ( a type of progesterone). Microgynon tablets are small, round and can be of a white or yellow colour.
How does Microgynon work? – all contraceptive pills essentially work in the same way, even if they contain different hormones. All types of hormones used naturally occur in the body. Taking a synthetic version of these hormones tricks your body into behaving as if you were already pregnant, triggering a mechanism that prevents pregnancy. The mucus at the opening of the uterus thickens, which decreases the chance of sperm making its way to the egg. In addition, ovulation is suppressed.
It’s a daily pill – when preventing pregnancy with Microgynon, you have to take a pill every day, ideally at the same time. Depending on whether your course consists of 21 or 28 tablets you may or may not need to take a break.
It’s a tried and tested pill – both hormones in Microgynon have been known and used for many years. Millions of women worldwide have taken this contraceptive pill. Its safety has been established and its side-effects are known. Compared to earlier pills, it contains a relatively low dose of estrogen, which many women prefer due to the lessened side-effects.
It can improve period pain – like many other oral contraceptives, Microgynon can lessen period pain and heavy bleeding. Women who suffer during the time of their monthly period can benefit from taking an oral contraceptive, as periods are usually less painful and more regular in women who are taking a combined pill.
The pack size determines whether you take a break or not – if you choose the 21 tablet option, you will take a pill every day for three weeks followed by a 7 day break. If you prefer taking a pill every day without a break, you can opt for a pack with 28 pills, in which case you will not need to take a break.
What are the 7 extra pills in the 28 pack? – the tablets to be taken during the fourth week of your cycle will be placebos, so they won’t contain any hormones. The idea is you’re still taking pills during the 7 day break so you don’t have to plan when to start taking pills again.
Why do people go for the 28 pack? – some women find it helpful to take a tablet daily because they worry about forgetting to take the pill after the 7 day break. Missing pills can increase your risk of getting pregnant so it’s important you don’t forget.
Microgynon side effects – the following side-effects frequently occur when taking Microgynon (which means that they affect more than 1 in 100 women who take this pill):
- Abdominal pain
- Depression, mood swings
- Tender breasts
For further information on possible rare side-effects, please read the patient leaflet of your pill.
Risk of blood clots – all combined contraceptive pills, Microgynon included, are associated with a slight increase in the risk of thrombosis (blood clots). Women who are already at risk, due to illness or previous medical conditions, should choose an alternative method of contraception. This is the case if you:
- Have a family history of thrombosis
- Are obese
- Are over 35 and smoke
- Are suffering from a condition affecting your lipometabolism
- Are suffering from hypertension
- Have a heart problem such as atrial fibrillations or cardiac valve disease
Women who suffer from severe migraines or high cholesterol are advised not to take Microgynon. The same applies to patients who have suffered a stroke in the past. If you have a medical problem affecting your liver or kidneys, your doctor might also advise you that Microgynon is not suitable for you. For further information, please read the patient leaflet or speak to your doctor.
Risk of cancer – research suggests, that women over 40 who have been taking the pill for many years have a higher risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer. Whether there is a direct link between oral contraceptives and cancer has not yet been established.
Does the ingredients in Microgynon cause weight gain? – there is some evidence that suggests the ethinyl estradiol can actually reduce appetite. The levonorgestrel in Microgynon has some evidence to suggest it could increase your appetite. Overall, however, clinical trials have not shown a link between contraceptive pills like Microgynon and gaining weight.
Can Microgynon affect weight in any way? – it might have some effect depending on the factors below:
- Bloating – if you experience bloating as a side effects from Microgynon you could confuse this with feeling like you’ve put on weight
- Water retention – it’s possible that Microgynon will cause you to retain water when you start taking it which may appear as weight gain
- Polycystic ovaries syndrome (PCOS) – this can cause weight gain but the symptoms can be reduced by pills like Microgynon so you could see weight loss in this case
- Pregnancy-related weight gain – there is a chance you could get pregnant using Microgynon, especially if you’ve been using it incorrectly. If you think you might be gaining weight due to pregnancy, take a pregnancy test and speak to doctor as soon as you can
What to do if you’re worried about Microgynon-related weight gain – because it’s unlikely to have an affect on your weight, you should try to remember that Microgynon is a safe and effective form of contraception for most people. Rather than stopping immediately, it’s best if you discuss your concerns with your doctor.
What can I do about my weight then? – you could address some of the other factors that could contribute to weight gain. Your appetite depends on a variety of factors other than sex hormones, including stress, sleep, exercise and other hormones such as leptin, ghrelin, and orexin. Consider some of the following lifestyle changes:
- A healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Limiting your alcohol intake to within normal limits
- Getting 8 hours sleep a night
- Relaxation – dealing with stress
Here’s some tips and tricks for how to get the best results with your Microgynon:
- Take Microgynon exactly as directed by the manufacturer – this means every day, at the same time every day, with no late or missed pills. One pill every 24 hours
- Try setting an alarm on your phone to remind you to take every pill
- Think ahead and don’t let yourself run out of pills. You need to plan ahead. This is a common reason for people running into trouble
- Always tell your doctor/healthcare provider any other medication you are taking. Drug interactions are not uncommon with the Pill and may make it less effective. For example, you should not take herbal remedies such as St John’s Wort
- Keep healthy and manage your weight. Pill users should have a BMI <30. Once your BMI is higher than this, and certainly if your BMI is >35, you will not be able to take the Pill
- Quit smoking if you do. All the medical risks of taking the Pill are much more common in women who smoke than those who do not. Because of this, if you smoke, once you reach age 35, the Combined Pill is no longer appropriate for you
Try out different pill-taking routines – you can find a way to make Microgynon suit you best by changing the way you take it. There are a few methods to choose from:
- Extended tricycling
The traditional routine – Traditionally you take your pill for 3 weeks and then have a 7 day break. This is because the pill was designed to mimic your monthly cycle. However, there is no biological need to have the 7 day break. In fact if things go wrong with pill taking, its quite common for women to start their next pack late, and this is where an error might take place. Getting rid of the 7 day break may help maintain some of non-contraceptive benefits of Microgynon, like reducing acne.
Extended routines – these can be more convenient without any additional risks. The extended tricycling routine involves:
- Take the pill every day for 3 packs (9 weeks)
- Then have a pill break - often this is a 7 day break
- Sometimes people shorten the pill break to only 4 days, and then restart the next pack
- You may have a bleed in the pill break
- There is no need to use additional contraception after restarting
Complete online consultation
Answer a few simple questions about your health.
Our doctors will review your order
One of our registered doctors confirms your suitability.
Fast, discreet delivery
Your medicine or test kit is dispatched by our pharmacy.
Contraceptive pills are a reliable way of reducing your risk of getting pregnant from sex. Zava offers most common brands of pill, so you can order your preferred brand by visiting our contraceptive pill service page.