Progesterone-only pills like Norgeston are great if you want to avoid the unpleasant side-effects of oestrogen-based pills. When taken properly Norgeston will give over 99% protection from getting pregnant.
If you are already taking Norgeston, you can reorder your pill online from Zava by clicking 'Start Consultation' below.
Free standard delivery FREE Estimated Delivery: 25-27th April We dispatch orders every day from Monday to Friday. If placed before 4pm, your order will be dispatched the same day. Orders placed after 4pm will be processed and sent out the next working day. Next Day Click & Collect FREE Collection: 24th April Collect your order from any Royal Mail post office. You will receive an email or SMS as soon as your order is ready for collection. Your order will be available to collect from the Post Office for up to 18 days. Proof of Identification will be required for collection. Next Day Express delivery £3.99 Estimated Delivery: 24th April by 1pm If placed before 4pm, your order will be delivered by 1pm on the next working day. Orders placed after 4pm are processed and sent out the next day and delivered the day after. You will choose your delivery option at the checkout. Delivery options may vary depending on the pack size and dosage chosen.
Norgeston is a progesterone-only oral contraceptive pill (POP), also known as the “mini pill”. Its only active ingredient is a synthetic version of the hormone progesterone, called levonorgestrel.
POPs are different to other types of the Pill, known as combined hormonal contraceptives (CHCs), which contain a combination of two sex hormones – progesterone and oestrogen.
Norgeston is mainly taken by sexually active women to prevent pregnancy. You should take it at the same time (within a 3 hour window) every day, in order for it to be effective. The hormones inside prevent you from getting pregnant in several ways:
- By making the mucus in your cervix much thicker, so it’s more difficult for sperm to travel through to the womb.
- By thinning the lining of your womb, so that it’s less easy for a fertilised egg to implant itself and grow there.
- (In some women) by stopping your ovary from releasing its monthly egg.
If you are a new user, taking your first Norgeston pill on the first day of your next period will give you protection from pregnancy. If you take your first Norgeston pill on any other day of your cycle, you may have to use condoms for the first 7 days of taking it, when you have sex. After 7 days of taking Norgeston, you will be protected from pregnancy.
As with all medicines, taking Norgeston can cause some side effects. These side effects shouldn’t ever be severe, painful, or unpleasant. If you ever experience any extreme side effects, stop taking it immediately and seek advice from your doctor.
The most common side effects (between 1 in 10 users) are:
- Spotting (breakthrough bleeding between periods) or no periods (amenorrhea).
- Nausea (feeling sick).
- Acne or spotty skin.
- Mood swings (depression or anxiety).
- Weight changes.
- Headaches or migraine.
These side effects should stop after the first few months of taking Norgeston, so doctors usually advise you to stick with it for at least three cycles before trying a different Pill. Hormonal contraceptives will work differently for different women, and many users will have no side effects at all.
You should see a doctor right away if you experience any of these serious side effects:
- Signs of a blood clot (unusually severe migraines, swelling or pain in one leg, a sudden tightness in your chest, weakness or numbness across one side of your body, or any changes in your eyesight, hearing, speech, sense of smell, taste, or touch)
- An allergic reaction (swelling of the face, tongue or difficulty breathing)
- Signs of breast cancer (changes to the skin of the breast or in the nipple, or any noticeable new lumps that you can see or feel)
- Symptoms of a severe liver problem (bad pain in the upper abdomen, yellow eyes or skin, or sudden itching across your whole body)
These reactions are all rare, but potentially dangerous. You may have to stop taking Norgeston if you experience these side effects.
Not everyone can take Norgeston. It depends on what health conditions you have and what other medication you're taking.
You shouldn't take Norgeston if you:
- Know you are pregnant or if you think you might be.
- Have severe liver disease, liver tumours, or are awaiting liver function test results.
- Have a history of sex-hormone related cancer, like breast cancer.
- Have unexplaned vaginal bleeding.
- Have had any circulatory diseases, like blood clots, stroke, heart attack, or severe diabetes that affects blood vessels.
- Are allergic to any ingredients in Norgeston.
You also not take Norgeston if you are taking any of the following medications:
There is always a risk of getting pregnant when you are taking contraceptives, but this risk is very small with the Pill.
On Norgeston, if you followed the directions for using it perfectly, you would have a 1% chance of getting pregnant. However, the risk of pregnancy increases when you are regularly late or missing pills. In practice, it is difficult to maintain perfect pill-taking discipline. On average, women on Norgeston have a 5% chance of getting pregnant.
You shouldn’t use Norgeston if you are pregnant. If you think this might be the case, take a pregnancy test to confirm before you carry on taking it. You can also visit your doctor for a test if you are unsure.
You may be at risk of pregnancy if you have been more than 3 hours late in taking your usual pill or if you miss a pill, and you had unprotected sex in the 7 days before doing so. Take a test to make sure, and use an extra barrier method (like condoms) for the next 7 days if you’re having sex.
Complete online consultation
Answer a few simple questions about your health.
Our doctors will review your order
One of our registered doctors confirms your suitability.
Fast, discreet delivery
Your medicine or test kit is dispatched by our pharmacy.
With contraceptive pills, delays to your next dose can increase your risk of pregnancy. Zava offers most common brands, so if you need to reorder, visit our contraceptive pill service page.