Activate your COVID-19 Travel Test Kit/s
Before taking a COVID-19 travel test, you need to activate your test kit. You must activate your test on the same day you take it. If anyone travelling with you is under 16, their guardian will need to complete their activation for them. You can do this quickly and easily through your patient account. If your kit is not activated, you will not get your results and will not be able to leave isolation.
Activate your test kit: Entering the UK
To activate your test, you will need to provide your:
- date of arrival in the UK
- vaccination status
- flight number
- booking reference number
When to activate your test
You should always activate your test at the same time you will be taking your test.
If you are fully vaccinated:
- You need to quarantine immediately after entering the UK.
- Activate and take your Day 2 PCR test before the end of your second day after entering the UK.
- If your Day 2 PCR test result is negative, you can leave quarantine.
If you are not fully vaccinated:
- You need to quarantine on return for 10 days*.
- Activate and take your Day 2 test within the first 2 days of quarantine.
- Activate and take your Day 8 test between day 8 and 10 of quarantine.
* You can leave quarantine early if you take a Test to Release test and get a negative result. Regardless of your result, you still have to complete a Day 8 test.
Test to Release (Day 5 test):
- Activate and take your test on day 5 of quarantine.
IMPORTANT: The day you arrive in the UK is day 0 of your quarantine. Day 1 of your quarantine is the day after you land and your first full 24 hours in the country.
How to activate your test
Once you're ready, click 'Activate test kit'. Here, you'll need to complete a short questionnaire that will take no longer than 2 minutes. After you've done this, you'll be ready to take your test.
Returning a completed test
After taking your test, you can return it via a Royal Mail priority post box using the prepaid envelope included with your kit. Don’t forget to write down your tracking reference number and post your test before the last priority collection, to avoid delays.
ZAVA is not responsible for the transit of your test kit to our partner lab.
Why do I need to activate my test?
You need to activate your test so that we can send your results and certificate (if required) to your ZAVA patient account.
Activating your test kit will link it to your patient account so that when we get your results, we know who they belong to. If you do not activate your test, we will not be able to send your results to you.
I cannot activate my test
If you cannot activate your test or need a bit more guidance, you can contact our Customer Support team on 020 3588 0292 or send us a message via your account. Our lines are open 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Saturday and 10am to 4pm Sunday.
When will I get my results?
You should get your results in your patient account within 48 hours of receipt by Royal Mail. We will email you to confirm this. Don’t forget to write down your tracking reference number and post your test before the last priority collection to avoid delays.
What happens after I get my results?
- If you test negative for COVID-19, you are free to leave quarantine and do not need to take another test.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, you will need to start your 10 day quarantine period from the day after you took your test.
If you’re not fully vaccinated:
- If you test negative for COVID-19 on your Day 2 test, you must continue to quarantine until it’s time to take your next test.
- If you test positive for COVID-19 on your Day 2 test, you will need to restart your 10 day quarantine period from the day after you took your test. You do not need to take your Day 8 test.
- If you test positive after a Day 8 test, you will need to restart your quarantine for a further 10 days from the day after you took your test.
If you test positive for a variant which is of concern, you will be contacted by the NHS Test and Trace team. We will not be able to tell you which variant you have tested positive for at any point as this information will not be available to us.
If you test positive during your quarantine, you must continue to self isolate, even if you feel well.
If you do have symptoms of the virus, you must self isolate for 10 days from the day your symptoms started (even if this is earlier than when you took your test).
Anyone you live with or have travelled with must also self isolate for 10 days from the day you took your test.
How do I take my test?
Taking a PCR swab test is simple, and you can do this by following the instructions that come with your test kit.
- Follow the instructions included with your test kit and use the swab to take a sample of cells from the back of your throat and nose.
- For Day 2, Day 8 and Test to Release return your test by post.
- You should get your results and instructions on what to do next within 48 hours from receipt by Royal Mail.
- Before taking your test, check our guidelines below on whether you should seek additional support depending on your age:
Adults aged 18 and over: Adults can take the test on their own, or with help if more support is needed.
Adolescents aged 12 to 17: Adolescents can take the test on their own, but should do so with adult supervision. An adult may conduct the test if necessary.
Children under 12: An adult should test children under 12 years of age. Children under 5 cannot use this test.
The UK government has provided these details on COVID-19 self-testing.
In partnership with SYNLAB
ZAVA has partnered with one of Europe’s leading medical diagnostics providers SYNLAB to offer COVID-19 testing. SYNLAB is a UKAS accredited private provider listed on GOV.UK for COVID-19 testing.